Events in the Okanagan – September
Feeling blue about the end of summer? Don’t worry, the Okanagan is still lively throughout autumn. There’s plenty of events to get you excited this September, perfect for an end-of-summer holiday.
Most of the vineyards and wineries are participating in Wine Festivals this month, so why not add an evening of fine dining to your calendar?
- For starters, we have Mission Hill Family Estate who have the last night of their Long Table Dinner event on September 2nd. This event starts at 6 pm and provides you with a three course dinner, a selection of wines and a stroll through the rolling hills of the estate. For $129 a person, this evening is sure to be an elegant affair – don’t miss out on tickets, purchase them now!
- If that doesn’t take your fancy, then how about attending Under the Half Barrel Dinner series at Cedar Creek Winery on September 8th. From $95 you can treat yourself to a wonderful meal paired with some beautiful wines whilst looking over at Lake Okanagan. What’s more picturesque than that?
- The end of September brings about another couple of vineyard events such as St Hubertus & Oak Bay Estate Winery Lunch. This long table lunch aims to celebrate the start of the harvest and is set to be a lovely afternoon on September 30th. Also on this date, is the Starry Plates Winemakers Dinner – another Okanagan Wine Festival! Do you see a trend here? This one is also at Cedar Creek Winery and they welcome you to a starlight sky and delicious canapes. We recommend checking out these events to get the most out of your Okanagan stay – these are one-off occasions that you can’t experience on a wine tour!
- Besides the wine, the Okanagan has a range of other activities happening during this month. Celebrate the beginning of the fall by participating or attending the Kelowna Wine Country Half Marathon on September 3rd. There’s nothing like team spirit, and a pair of running shoes!
- Maybe you’re not a fan of running, in which case why not look into the Okanagan Grape Escape – MS Bike event. This is a two-day bike riding event on the 9th and 10th of September. This event is one of the biggest fundraising biking events in North America and has been happening since 1989! Join other cyclists and participate in this exciting opportunity to explore the Okanagan region. If it’s too late for you to sign up, then follow the route (which takes you around a LOT of vineyards) and wave to the riders as they pass you.
The Quirky ones
We’ve rounded up the random, the weird and the one-off’s in the below list of events. Whatever you choose to do in September, we’re sure you’ll have a blast!
- Ever wanted to try out five different types of ribs? Attend Ribfest Kelowna between September 15th & 17th for your chance to taste some mouth-watering meats.
- On the subject of meat, why not pop along to the Great Canadian Bacon Chase on September 24th. Somewhat contradictory, this event is all about eating unlimited bacon but also participating in a 5km run! There’s also a way to get out of the running, if you’re more interested in the bacon… Check out their website for more details!
- For those of you into reading tarot cards and natural health care, then we suggest you check out the Holistic Market and Psychic Fair on September 17th at the Laurel Packinghouse. With over 50 exhibitors, this is sure to be a wonderful day and you’ll likely come home with some new knowledge of naturopath techniques.
- And lastly for the art wizards, take a look at the Art in the Park – Vineyard Trails series. On September 24th, Quail’s Gate Winery is hosting this presentation of local artwork. This will be the closing day of this travelling art series, so we hope you’ll make an effort to attend. Let us know your favourite artist or art piece!
That’s all for now. We hope you enjoy the beginning of Autumn – let’s hope it’s a bright and colourful one.
Written by Hannah Poaros