Okanagan Events: Get ready for Halloween!
It doesn’t matter whether you love or hate Halloween, you can’t avoid this crazy festival of everything spooky. The hoards of youngsters dressed up as witches, wizards, vampires and zombies can’t really be missed – especially if they come trick or treating at your door! If there are Halloween-lovers in your family, be sure to check out these local events happening across the Okanagan. The fall is a beautiful time of year in the region, with copper and golden leaves lining the lake and mountainside. Here are the best events to get you in the scary spirit:
- Bumbershoot Theatre’s production of The Nightmare before Christmas is showing from October 12th – 22nd. Bumbershoot is a non-profit children’s theatre company that wants to appeal to “the child in all of us”. Enjoy their adaptation of Tim Burton’s classic animation, The Nightmare before Christmas, and follow Jack Skellington on his journey to Christmas Town.
- If you’re looking at visiting Kelowna Art Gallery during October, why not check out the Jane Kidd: Curious exhibition. Kidd’s works explore themes of genetic modification, living things, creating new entities and the consequences. If you’ve ever read Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, then these themes are no stranger to you! Looks like a real interesting treat.
- Check out Kelowna’s Farmer’s & Crafter’s Market on October 28th for a special Pumpkin Festival event from 8am till 1pm, making the market even more fun. The event includes free pumpkin decorating for kids!
- Take a trip out to O’Keefe Ranch in Vernon between October 7th and October 28th and take advantage of their Family Daze in the Corn Maze event. This family-friendly event includes a brand-new corn maze with eerie scenes. The kids can also enjoy a pony ride, tractor ride or a spider-web climb! You can eat lunch at the event as many food trucks will be available, making this the perfect way to get ready for all hallows eve. If you’re into something a little scarier, then you could also attend the Ranch’s Field of Screams: Dante’s Inferno event (Oct 13th – 28th). There are two haunted mazes to explore so be prepared for zombies, ghosts and all kinds of terrifying creatures! Please note that the event is not suitable for young children.
- Why not take the family to The 14th Annual Walk of Terror at the Caravan Farm Theatre on October 28th between 4pm – 6pm. Contact the Caravan Farm Theatre for more details on this festive celebration. There will be treats, bonfires, performances and possibly best costume competitions. Past events have been a huge success so definitely check their website for up to date event details.
- For all those music enthusiasts out there, we urge you not to miss the Okanagan Symphony’s Halloween Spooktacular at the Vernon & District Performing Arts Centre on October 29th. Featuring music from popular magical movies such as Harry Potter, Dracula and Pyscho, as well as other classical favorites. Set to be a fabulous evening!
- Head to Davidson Orchards throughout October and embark on a Johnny Popper Farm Tour. The whole family will love discovering the farming processes and stories behind your local food. Explore apple trees, peach trees, vegetable fields and more. Head there between the 21st and 29th October and you can take part in their Pumpkin Festival! Delve into the pumpkin patch and pick out your pumpkin, ready for carving when you get home! During the festival, there will be a Saturday BBQ as well as harvest festival treats including apple cider donuts, apple pie and caramel apples. For the little ones, there is a whole Pumpkin medieval land to enjoy. Let them have fun sitting on the pumpkin throne whilst being entertaining by juggling jesters and a friendly Pumpkin Princess!
So what are you most looking forward to? We are confident that any of these events will guarantee you have a spell-binding Halloween. Let us know what you get up to…. watch out for those pesky werewolves!
Written by Hannah Poaros