Where to pick your own Okanagan fruit
Everyone knows that the Okanagan region throws up some delicious fresh fruits. Why wouldn’t it? With all its hours of sunshine, it’s got the perfect climate for fruit to grow. The season generally begins in June and ends around September with the ripening of the apples. Instead of grabbing the local produce from the grocery store, why not make a day of it and take the family out to a Pick-your-own farm?
Here’s a round-up of the best places to do this across the region:
- Kempf Orchards – This is a beautiful family-friendly cherry-picking orchard. Be sure to check on their website which fruits are currently available as some varieties sell out fast. If you’re tired of picking cherries, they also sell pre-picked apricots and peaches – all ready to go in that fruit salad you’re making…
- Caldwell Heritage Farm – Caldwell Heritage Farm is a favourite among all ages. Why not make friends with the animals, pick some fruit, help grow vegetables and then take a stroll past tractors, trucks and other historical agricultural items? What a perfect afternoon in the countryside.
- Sun City Cherries Ltd. – Your go-to for fresh fruits, homemade jams and honey! They specialize in cherries though, so be sure to swing by and try some.
- Paynters Fruit Market – What a gem this fruit market is! You have the option to pick your own cherries, apricots, peaches, plums and pears. There’s nothing like eating a peach straight off the tree; biting into the juicy flesh whilst baking in the Okanagan sun. Enjoy the fruit picking experience and treat yourself to an ice cream at the end.
- Arndt Orchards – Another gorgeous cherry-picking farm in Kelowna! They also accept cherry picking orders for pick-up if you’re on a time limit and don’t have time to do the work yourself.
You also might want to check out:
- Function Junction Fruit Stand – Open 7 days a week in the summer, Function Junction Fruit Stand is a must-do. They are known for their plump blackberries – they’ll be great on their own, as a conserve or as a cheesecake topping! Not only this but Function Junction also produces 100% pure apple juice as well as four fruit iced ciders. You can taste these in the tasting room just beside the fruit stand… Let us know which one is your favourite. Will it be the Fuji Iced Cider or the Pear Iced Cider? It’s a hard call!
- Gambell Farms – Gambell Farms is all for the healthy lifestyle and encourages you to try their high-quality produce. There is a large variety of fresh goods grown here, so you’ll probably be able to find all the veggies on your shopping list. Try one of their fruit pies – sure to be extra tasty.
- Duggan Farms – This local farm has a wide range of fruit AND vegetables that you can pick. Culinary herbs are also available seasonally. Get all your salad ingredients here!
Remember: Contact the farms first before planning a visit – sometimes they sell out of fruit, or harvests of certain varieties are delayed!
Written by Hannah Poaros