The Okanagan is famous for its abundance of fruit bearing orchards. Nothing beats the flavor of a perfectly ripe, freshly picked peach right off the tree, especially in the peak of the season (mid July to September).
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup milk
4 cups fresh peach slices
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
1. Preheat overn to 375 deg F
2. Melt butter in a 13×9 inch baking dish
3. Combine flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
4. Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
5. Bake at 375 deg for 40-45 min or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm.