How to Spend August Long Weekend in Kelowna
It’s that time of year again – August long weekend! We all love 3-day weekends, especially in the summer, when there’s always plenty of events happening in Kelowna and the sun is shining. Here’s our suggested itinerary for the weekend:
Friday August 2
- Check into your La Casa Cottage at 4pm. Discover the surroundings of La Casa by walking down to the lake or up to the viewpoint. Don’t forget to stop by the General Store if you’ve forgotten to pick up groceries – they have a small selection of groceries as well as alcoholic beverages.
- If you’re interested in paddle boarding or kayaking during the course of your stay, make sure you reserve some equipment. Pick up time is at 10am and return time is 9.30am the next day.
- Take it easy after your long journey to Kelowna and use the BBQ at your cottage to grill some meat or veggies for dinner. Play some card games outside and watch the sunset – you won’t regret it.
Saturday August 3
- Cook yourself a scrumptious brunch and enjoy eating out on the deck. If you’re a morning person, then you might want to wake up early to watch the sunrise over the lake – if it’s a clear day of course!
- Gather the troops and head down to the Kelowna Farmer’s & Crafter’s Market which runs from 8am till 1pm every Saturday. This is your perfect chance to pick up fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as local eggs, spices, tea, flowers and more! If you didn’t eat enough at breakfast, or you’re feeling a little peckish, then there are plenty of food vendors at the market. There’s everything from kettle corn to cinnamon rolls; falafel bites to French crepes! And if that isn’t enough reason to give the market a chance, then it’s also home to a range of crafters and artisans – need any art prints, unique jewellery, vintage footwear, handmade soaps? The list goes on.
- Depending on how long you’re at the market, you might want to drive over to the Laurel Packinghouse to join one of their Cultural District Walking Tours. These begin at 10am and last for 2 hours. No registration is required for these free tours! Learn all about the history of Kelowna’s Cultural District and see plenty of art on this 2km walk.
- Spend the afternoon wine tasting at Quail’s Gate Winery (the perfect place to stop on your way back to La Casa). Drop in tastings are available all day, every day. If you want to spend a little more time at this picturesque winery that offers stunning panoramic views, then definitely join an Estate Family Tour. These insider tours last 1 hour and show you the basics of wine production.
- After a busy day exploring Kelowna, make your journey back to La Casa. Once you’ve arrived back, you’ll want to take a dip in one of the two swimming pools to cool down!
- Enjoy dinner at the cottage using all the local ingredients you’ve picked up earlier in the day. Accompany your dinner with a nice glass of Okanagan wine.
Sunday August 4
- Start your day off with a special Sunday brunch at Hotel Eldorado in Kelowna (reservations are recommended). This popular brunch features omelettes, seafood, desserts, fresh fruit and all your breakfast favourites. Hotel Eldorado is located right by the lake, so dining here offers spectacular waterfront views. Other brunch alternatives include Muninn’s Post Brunch of the Gods – a unique food event that begins at 11am.
- Take a mini road trip to Big White Ski Resort for a Geo Hiking adventure. This scavenger hunt runs from 10am on Saturday to 4pm on Sunday – so there’s no time to waste! A family friendly event like no other where you get to explore the mountain AND have the chance to win some great prizes.
- Alternatively, why not travel to Silver Star Mountain Resort for their Sunday Roast & Concert Series? The event runs every Sunday during August from 3pm till 6pm. Expect live music, tasty food and alpine views.
- Once you’ve returned to your cottage, you’ll no doubt be in need of some chill-out time. Put together a picnic-style dinner (think crackers, cold meats, deli cheeses, olives and sun-dried tomatoes) and choose your perfect picnic spot. Maybe you’re happy eating out on the deck of your cottage. Perhaps you’d like to try the Viewpoint Picnic Area. Is the beach calling you? There are so many possibilities for al fresco dining at La Casa: check out the site map here.
- Sleep easy!
Monday August 5
- Check out of your La Casa Cottage at 10am. Make sure you’ve collected all your belongings and any leftover groceries (leftovers make great snacks for the drive home!). Snap a photo of your group before you leave – because you won’t want to forget this action-packed long weekend!
Can’t make it to Kelowna this weekend? No worries! We’ve still got cottage stays available during August and September! Speak to one of our friendly reservations staff by calling 1-888-226-5566 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to book your next vacation today.
Written by Hannah Poaros