Here’s a simple recipe for blackberry pie:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 double pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix the blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pour the blackberry mixture into the pie crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the blackberry mixture. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious homemade blackberry pie!
Did you know that blackberries can be grown in the Okanagan?
There are several blackberry varieties that are well-suited for growing in the Okanagan region of British Columbia. Some of the best varieties for this area include:
- Chester – a thornless variety that produces large, sweet berries in mid to late summer.
- Triple Crown – a thornless variety that produces large, firm berries with a sweet, tart flavour in late summer to early fall.
- Navaho – a thornless variety that produces large, firm berries with a sweet flavour in mid to late summer.
- Natchez – a thornless variety that produces large, sweet berries in early to mid-summer.
- Marion – a thorny variety that produces medium-sized, juicy berries with a sweet, tart flavour in mid to late summer.